Content Management System (CMS) Introduction
A Web Content Management System (CMS) is an online software program that enables the users to create and maintain a web site easily by using a web browser (e.g. Firefox or Internet Explorer, etc.) at any time without technical knowledge of the Dreaweaver and HTML.
A CMS can use a database to store the web page contents and pictures, then pull information from the database and put them together into webpages dynamically. This means the webpages do not actually exist until someone asks for them via a web browser. If you have thousand webpages, you do not need to build them individually by hand. The CMS can build them dynamically on the fly.
A CMS even allows multiple people to make content changes and the users need not to spend money to purchase a webpage editing software such as Dreaweaver, etc. Many websites can be created by a CMS.
However, there are some troubles caused by CMS. They include:
For webpages to be ranked well in search engines, they must be unique. If the Search Engines identify duplicate content (webpages containing some or all of the same text), they keep what they think is the most authoritative version and throw out the rest. However, CMS builds dynamic webpages based on the templates. These similar webpages run the risk of being excluded from the Search Engines.
Generic Meta Tags
CMS often put on every web page the generic title and meta tags in the non-SEO-friendly way and hence affect your SEO performance.
Dynamic URL string
CMS build the URL string dynamically for every web page request hence presenting the same content showing up under many different URLs. For example, the CMS add a session ID code to the end of the URLs as the visitor browses through the website. It causes every view of every page to have a different URL. Besides, the products can be classified in many ways. If the website visitors search by color, size, price, or any combination, it may produce many different URLs for the same product page. Hence, Search Engines prefer the static URLs to be crawled and indexed easily.
CMS will have canonical problem. For example, there are two versions of your website, one with and one without the www. However, the Search Engines will treat these two versions as two different web sites.
Many CMS are the open source software. The program coding and its vulnerabilities are open to the public and hence there are potential security issues that may arise if the security precautions are not taken properly.
Although the Content Management Systems (CMS) is an efficient tool to maintain and manage websites, it mainly depends on how you plan and set up the CMS. We are here to help you if you want a professional installation and configuration of Wordpress as the CMS solution with a theme design.
Our CMS Web Design service plan includes:
- Install Content Management System CMS software
- Create a database for use
- Create and install a customized theme
- Set up 5 webpage contents
- Install a robots.txt file to guide search engine spiders indexing your CMS site
- Configure a sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml.gz for search engine indexing
- Set up the permalinks to improve SEO of your site
- Install a Ping List for search engine pinging
- Install social media share plugin to work with your theme
- Configure spam protection to prevent comment spam
- Set up some security precautions for your CMS site
- Install your company logo and graphics
- Free website statistic Analytics installed
- Website submission to major Chinese & English search engines such as Yahoo, Google, etc.
- Free User Guide